Free coffee

Today is a big day. I'm due for my free coffee at the Coffee Shop I have pledged loyalty to. Strung together in claustrophobic array, the nine round stamps on my lovingly frayed cardboard card are my badges of pride.
I paid for this reward diligently. There were times when I could have done without a coffee but I still ordered one knowing that today would come. Of course, this reward isn't a surprise. It's a reward I sponsored to remind myself of what it feels like to be rewarded. I can only dream of the joy I would reap from the completion of my pension plan, the repayment of my mortgage...
"Here's your free coffee, Sir. No sugar." The girl behind the counter flashes a smile of unsweetened excitement. "And here's your brand new loyalty card."
Now this is a surprise. Not only was a given a "free" coffee, I was also presented with an opportunity to finance a future reward. The nine round slots on my brand new loyalty card are staring at me with urgency and, could it be, accusation. Right then, I'd better start stamping.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Banya

London

Busy day (somehow)