Single socks

Every morning I get amazed at the number of single socks I own. Why do they refuse to pair up? Emancipation? Bad ownership? Left-wing/right-wing polarity? Single-mindedness?

"Poor synthetic souls", sock-centrists would sigh. "Stuck where the sun don't shine, severed from their other halves, disowned, derelict, dysfunctional.

If I were a mo(u)rning person, I would shed a tear for every single specimen. But instead, morning after morning I slip into the wrong sock, forcefully marrying incompatible members of the hosiery family. Together they need to function as a team. Yet, in their basted hearts they remain single. Single socks. Getting off on the wrong foot with their owner. Feigning toe holes. Hoping to be ditched during doomed attempts at darning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Banya

London

Busy day (somehow)