Sushi-go-round

It wasn’t the first time I’d had sushi. God, no! My palate had been lubricated by raw fish on many a delightful occasions. But it was the first time I sat around one of them delight trains, the sushi-go-round.

Like little scientific experiments they came, grouped into clusters of two or three according to colour, taste and surprisability. The train moved smoothly and silently and the delectable morsels passed by solemnly like some awe-inspiring extraterrestrial exhibits. This is well gonna be a business-class dinner, I thought to myself. Then I noticed the chunky red letters painted on the restaurant’s window: “Eat all you can for €15”. Well then, sort of.

There was no plate in front of me. Only a little bowl for the wasabi & soy sauce. I reached out for a fat specimen decorated with glistening orange crumbs and pinched it with a plastic chopstick. I didn’t take the tiny plate it was placed on and let its two sexy plate mates move on. Then I snatched a crunchy ball. And another one. The half-empty plates carried on their perpetual journey. My taste buds perked up and so did my confidence. “Eat all you can” read “Eat all you want” in my menu. I scored a salmon coat and a tuna blanket letting the naked oblong rice torsos retreat shamefully. Then I nicked two giant prawns. More and more naked oblong rice torsos going round in circles of shame. This was fun!

“What do you think you are doing?"
I had to be the addressee of this wrathful question as I was the only customer in the restaurant. Still I looked around in confusion searching for the invisible culprit.
“Please, take the whole plate, will you?!”

I eyed Mister Sushi Master defeatedly. Caught in the act, wasn’t I? The Liberty which was so generously granted to me was now being restricted. Alright, I’ll stick to the rules next time. In my defence, I didn’t know better. I was only being natural. Trying to come across as a natural. Call me a sinner, I was taken for a ride by the sushi train.

Comments

  1. The best post. Ever. Your style is so condensed, yet so vivid and visually stimulating. Love it!

    Plamena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Plamena.
    I feel truly flattered!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Banya

London

Busy day (somehow)