Brave in Beijing

I can’t begin to tell the world how many beautiful and soulful humans I met in the two days I’ve been in Beijing. Yes, I did arrive with a tiny chunky prejudice fed by early-life memories, the tone of news articles and the sheer limitations of our binary world views. 

So far, I visited four neighbourhoods in this colossal twenty-one-million-resident city and I haven’t registered any other white expat. The treatment I received everywhere has been heart-touching. In spite of the language, cultural, political and infrastructural barriers (or maybe because of them) the human connection has been triumphant, life-affirming. 

There is something precious about communicating with our eyes and smiles. We cannot care less about political beliefs, sexuality or intellectual tastes. The message is the connection. 

I can’t begin to tell the world how many humans caressed me with their eyes, waitresses mothered me with gleeful smiles, cabbies befriended me with apologetic, childlike grimaces. And we understood each other instantaneously, without the complications of intellect and identity. 

These are the things we forget when we wage wars and inflict harm - with weapons on battlefields or with prejudice in our heads. We forget that what we see on the surface is filtered by the spectacles we choose to wear and that at the core (whether it’s deep down or high up), humans are beautiful and kind. And when we dare to remember, we realise that the biggest bravery is to be gentle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Banya

The tailor

Life on Langkawi